Thursday, January 24, 2013

Really Nicholas???

Hey sugarplums,

Last night I finished The Choice by Nicholas Sparks and the only choice that Sparks should have made was to not write this book. I am a fan of Sparks romantic novels, I loved The Notebook and The Wedding but this book was so disappointing. The book is about veterinarian Travis who falls in love with his next door neighbor Gabby who is already in a committed relationship...both characters must make difficult "choice". I found their romance extremely predictable...it was as surprising as seeing a picture of Kim Kardashian wearing makeup and heels. 


There were a couple of sweet spots in the books...small as Hershey Kisses, but sweet nonetheless. Here is an excerpt from The Choice:


"Finding a woman with a sense of humor had been the one piece of advice his father had given him when he'd first begun to get serious about dating, and he finally understood why his dad had considered it important. If conversation was the lyrics, laughter was the music, making time spent together a melody that could be replayed over and over..."


Stop rolling your eyes! I know that passage is so cheesy that it should be served with crackers and wine but it was one of the few moments in the book that I liked. Overall I will rate this book a D+, and the only reason it didn't get an F was because of a motorcycle lesson and the conversations during physical therapy. I will not give up on Sparks though because I enjoyed The Wedding and The Notebook so much...I can still picture Ryan Gosling standing in the rain yelling with his delicious body peeking through his wet shirt. I digress. What I meant to say was Sparks usually creates the romantic moments that would make a Hallmark executive vomit. I'm hoping that the next book I read in my challenge will have better results. Fingers crossed!




See ya round like a donut!


No comments:

Post a Comment